Links to Media stories about the Albany Peace Project:
- Channel 13-WNYT News Follow up with results.
- SACC-TV Interview with Bethany Gonyea, Dr. John Foldy, Roger Mock & Mark Shepard Introducing Albany Peace Project
Bethany Gonyea, 518.424.0406, Info@NuminousOnline.com
Albany Peace Project Quick Facts:
What: The Albany Peace Project is a 10 year research project designed to determine if an organized group of trained meditators creating a “coherent state” in themselves and then focusing peaceful intention outwardly can measurably reduce local violence. Our hypothesis is that focused peaceful intention has real world impact, and dozens of prior research studies suggest it as well. We are gathering evidence to determine if this approach can positively impact our community.
Who: Currently, a little over 1000 participants. The goal is to gather 2500 participants for January 2015.
Where: Participants are mostly from the Albany, NY area, but some have participated from as far away from Italy and Canada
When: This is a 10 year research study that will repeat the cohesive meditation efforts each January through 2023. Organizers are already working toward the next phase of the project, January 2015.
How: Through internet and community programming, participants will be taught how to lead their bodies’ nervous systems into a state known as “coherence”, which current research suggests has calming effects on both individuals and the greater local population
What is Coherence: Personal coherence, also known as psychophysiological coherence, refers to the synchronization of our physical, mental and emotional systems. It can be measured by our heart-rhythm patterns: The more balanced and smooth they are, the more in sync, or coherent, we are. Stress levels recede, energy levels increase and our brain and what HeartMath calls the “heart brain” are working together. It is a state of optimal clarity, perception and performance. HeartMath tools and technology have been scientifically proven to help us achieve personal coherence. http://www.heartmath.org/faqs/heartmath-system/heartmath-system-faqs.html
Benefits of Achieving Coherence:
- Optimal performance
- Greater resilience to face life’s challenges
- More Creative Problem Solving
- Increased happiness and appreciation for life
Albany Peace Project Collaborators:
- Institute of HeartMath – The Institute of HeartMath is an internationally recognized nonprofit research and education organization dedicated to helping people reduce stress, self-regulate emotions and build energy and resilience for healthy, happy lives. The Albany Peace Project has received permission to use one of HeartMath’s evidence based coherence tools: The Heart Lock-In®, to help participants reach coherence.
- Unity Church of Albany – Meetings for the Albany Peace Project are often held at that location
- Capital District Psychiatric Center – Both staff and patients participated each January day in 2013.
- Trinity Alliance – Albany Peace Project volunteers provided community meditation opportunities to introduce the residents of Albany to meditation.
- Cure Violence of Trinity Alliance – Staff of Cure Violence are learning how to lead their bodies into calm and restful states as they manage themselves on the front line of Albany’s violent new stories
- Brookwood Secure Center – Discussions are underway to teach residents at this secure facility how to find the peaceful place within all of us. Not yet confirmed.
- Coming to a place near you! How else are we going to end violence, unless we teach peace!
Have Questions? Click the handy contact form below!